To make your message memorable you need to apply the acronyms of S-U-C-C-E-S: Simple – Unexpected – Concrete – Credible – Emotional and use Stories.
Today we look at 3 elements to create something UNEXPECTED
Start your speech with the use of a strong attention grabber – a question, a startling statement, or even a story…
Create curiosity and novelty as soon as you open your mouth!
2. Use the rule of 3 and .…BREAK THE PATTERN
Think of it as 2 consecutive words supporting the same idea(s), then add a third one that would be odd or different from what is expected.
It creates a surprise resulting in your audience feeling entertained or teased.
- "I love Technology, Neuroscience, and video of cats on Instagram."
- "I am so thrilled, happy, and terrified to be here!"
3. Use of Rhetorical questions
Perfect to use them as a transition in your development
- "Why can’t we innovate when competition can?"
- "How to stop screwing yourself over in your next performance review?"
Your choice of words can also create some surprises!
In summary, to make your message stick create the unexpected
- in your introduction,
- break the logical pattern of the rule of 3
- ask rhetorical questions
Next week will be about being Concrete! Show, do not tell!
....communication is everything!
Do you want to make a difference for yourself and the world?
Become a competent speaker, a confident communicator, manage your Fear of Public Speaking and work on your presentation skills: Check the list of the Group Training Events, Individual & Corporate Programmes. All available Online.